Basmati Rice – 2 1/3 cups
Water – 3 cups
Green Cardamom Pods – 3
Cloves – 2
Salt – 1 tsp
Semi-Skimmed Milk – 3 tblsp
Saffron Threads – 1/2 tsp, crushed
1. Wash the rice, put it in a bowl and pour over water to cover. Leave to soak for 20 minutes.
2. Drain the basmati rice and put it in a large pan with the measured water. Add the cardamoms, cloves and salt. Stir, then bring to the boil. Lower the heat, cover the pan tightly and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the milk in a small pan. Add the saffron threads and heat through gently.
4. Pour the saffron milk over the rice and stir. Cover again and continue cooking over a low heat for 5-6 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the heat without lifting the lid. Leave the rice to stand for about 5 minutes, then fork through just before serving.