Drumstick – 4 to 5, cut into 2 1/2 inch pieces
Tuvar Dal – 1/2 cup
Tamarind – small lemon sized
Salt as required
Coriander Seeds – 1 tblsp
Red Chillies – 8
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tsp
Fenugreek – 1/4 tsp
Fry the above spices in little oil and then grind with 1/4 cup of grated fresh coconut.
Gingelli Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
1. Pressure cook dal in enough water with turmeric powder. Allow it to cool and mash well.
2. Soak tamarind in water for 1/2 an hour and squeeze out the extract. Strain well.
3. Cook drumsticks in enough water till it becomes soft.
4. Add tamarind extract, salt, ground paste, mashed dal and cook till thick.
5. Fry seasoning in oil and mix with sambar.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves, curry leaves.
7. Serve hot with cooked rice.