Kung Pao Chicken is a classic dish in Sichuan cuisine. It is one of the most famous Szechuan dish where chicken is stir-fried in a spicy, sweet and savory sauce. Serve this as a main dish with rice or as part of a multi-course meal.
Kung Pao Chicken Recipe
Ingredients for Kung Pao Chicken
- 500 gms Chicken Breast skinless, boneless, chopped
- 2 tsp Chinese Rice Wine or Dry Sherry
- 2 tblsp Corn Flour
- 3 to 4 tblsp Oil
- 1 tblsp Peppercorns
- 1/2 cup Red & Green Capsicums chopped, seeds removed
- 1 tblsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 16 to 20 Dry Red Chillies chopped
- 2 Spring Onions trimmed, chopped
- 1/4 cup Peanuts roasted, to garnish
For the Sauce:
- 1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 3 tblsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Chinese Rice Wine or Dry Sherry
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp White Pepper Powder
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 tsp Corn Flour
How to make Kung Pao Chicken
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and keep aside.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to a large bowl.
- Add the Chinese rice wine and corn flour.
- Mix well and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tblsp of oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Saute the marinated chicken pieces until half-cooked.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Add all the remaining oil to the pan.
- Add the peppercorns, ginger garlic paste and stir quickly.
- Add the red chillies and fry for a minute.
- Add the chicken pieces, capsicums and the sauce.
- Stir until evenly mixed and all the chicken pieces are evenly coated.
- Add the spring onions and peanuts.
- Mix well.
- Remove and serve with steamed rice.