1 Chicken, cut into medium sized pieces
2 Coconuts, grated
250 gms Onions
6 Green Chillies, slit lengthwise
1 inch piece of Ginger, ground to paste
2 sprigs Curry leaves
100 ml Refined oil
50 ml Coconut oil
25 gms Coriander seeds
8 Red Chillies
10 gms Fennel seeds
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
Salt to taste
1. Roast the coriander seeds, red chillies and fennel seeds and grind to a smooth paste along with onions.
2. Mix turmeric powder, slit green chillies, ginger paste and salt. Marinate the chicken pieces in this mixture for half an hour.
3. Heat the oils (refined and coconut) in a kadai and fry the ground masala paste till the oil floats on top.
4. Add the chicken pieces, saute for a few minutes, sprinkle 1/2 cup water, cover and cook on medium heat until done.
5. Grind the coconut, extract the milk, add to the curry.
6. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and 2 whole red chillies. Pour over curry. Serve hot.