300 gms Tomatoes, chopped fine
4 tbsp Toor Dal
20 gms Tamarind
2 sprigs Curry leaves
a small bunch Coriander leaves, chopped
2 whole Red chillies
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
a pinch of Asafoetida
1 tsp Rasam powder
1/4 tsp Peppercorns, crushed
2 tbsp Ghee
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
Salt to taste
1. Boil the dal with turmeric powder and half a litre water till cooked.
2. Strain the dal, reserve the water for later use. Mash the dal lightly.
3. Soak tamarind in warm water, extract pulp and keep aside.
4. Bring one cup water to a boil. Add chopped tomatoes, tamarind pulp, asafoetida, chopped coriander leaves, curry leaves and rasam powder.
5. Cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Add the reserved dal water and simmer. Sprinkle crushed peppercorns.
6. Heat ghee. Temper with mustard seeds and red chillies. Pour over the rasam.
7. Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !