Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Snake gourd (padavalanga) – 500 gms (cleaned and chopped into small pieces)
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Onion – 1 (large finely sliced)
Dry red chillies – 2
Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Shallots – 2 to 3, finely chopped
Curry leaves – 2 to 3 sprigs
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Oil – 1 tbsp
Garlic pods – 2, chopped
Curry powder or Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. Take oil in a pan and heat it. Crackle the mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and dry red chillies and saute them.
2. Put in shallots, onion and garlic. Fry for about 4 minutes. Optionally, Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of any curry powder or garam masala for a better flavour.
3. Include the snake gourd pieces followed by turmeric powder and chilly powder. Cook on medium flame for about 5 minutes.
4. Add salt. Pour sufficient water. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes on low flame or till snake gourd is well done.
5. Mix grated coconut. Blend thoroughly and switch off the flame.
6. Serve hot with rice.