Patatas Bravas (Spanish Fried Potatoes with spicy Tomato Sauce) is a traditional Spanish tapas classic dish. Essentially a fried potatoes in a warm and spicy tomato sauce, it is one of the popular dish that has traveled all over the globe.
As with any dish, there are many variations to this. In some places, the potatoes are topped with mayonnaise or garlic aioli.
This dish is often called as a Spanish cousin to the popular french fries.
The recipe below is made without an oven. But you can make this with an oven also. If you are using an oven, then make sure to keep the oven temperature to 200C/400F and roast the potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes with some olive oil, crushed garlic cloves, sea salt and crushed pepper.
Patatas Bravas (Spanish Fried Potatoes with spicy Tomato Sauce) Recipe
Ingredients for Patatas Bravas (Spanish Fried Potatoes with spicy Tomato Sauce)
- 2 Potatoes large, peeled
- for deep frying Sunflower Oil
- handful Spring Onion
For the sauce:
- 1 cup Tomato Puree - 1 cup
- 1 Garlic Clove sliced
- 1 Onion small, finely sliced
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/2 Bay Leaf
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- a pinch Dried Oregano
- a pinch Cumin Powder
How to make Patatas Bravas (Spanish Fried Potatoes with spicy Tomato Sauce)
- Heat a pan over medium flame.
- Add the onions and garlic. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the red chillies and bay leaf.
- Cook for 10 to 20 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the vinegar, oregano and cumin powder.
- After the tomato puree and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Then blend the mixture until smooth. You can use a hand-blender or do it in batches in a mixie.
- Cut the potatoes as desired - cubes, wedges or small chunks.
- Add them to a pan of boiling water and cook for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Drain well and leave to dry.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Cook the potatoes until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drain excess oil and transfer to a serving dish.
- Pour the tomato sauce on top.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and serve at once.