Onions – 2, medium sized
Milk – 1 cup
Ginger root – 2 tbsp, chopped
Punjabi garam masala – 2 tbsp
Butter or vegetable oil – 6 tbsp
Turmeric – 1 tsp, ground
Chicken pieces – 1 1/2 kgs, skinned
Green cayenne peppers – 2 to 3, minced
Plain yogurt – 1 cup
Salt and ground cayenne as per taste
Almonds – 1/4 cup
Ground whole saffron strands – few (soaked in 2 tbsp warm milk)
Walnuts – 1/4 cup, ground
Minced fresh cilantro as required
Melon – 1/4 cup (whole)
Pumpkin or squash seeds as required
Almonds as required
Cashews as required
1. Make a smooth paste of the onions and ginger in a blender.
2. Lightly stir fry the onion-ginger paste in hot butter or oil in a heavy, deep skillet till they turn golden brown.
3. Add the chicken and yogurt. Mix well and cook over medium heat until the mixture becomes thicker and the chicken begins to brown.
4. Finely grind the almonds, walnuts and melon seeds. Stir them into the milk.
5. Add the mixture to the chicken along with the garam masala, turmeric, chilli peppers, salt and ground cayenne.
6. Cook over medium heat, for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is very tender and the sauce is very thick, stir often.
7. Stir in the saffron/milk mixture and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
8. Serve with roti, naan or paratha.