Adai is a healthy South Indian Breakfast dish made with rice and a few varieties of dals/ lentils or millets. The ingredients are soaked and ground to a batter. This Millet Adai is a combination of Little Millet (Samai), Foxtail Millet (thinai), Barnyard Millet (kutharavalli).
Samai Arisi or Little Millet is the healthy alternative for the regular rice as a meal. Higher in fibre and complex carbs, it is good for managing blood sugar levels. Foxtail millet also called as Thinai in Tamil is also a good source of complex carbs and a substitute for regular, processed rice. The addition of lentils allows the batter to mix well and create a bonding nature to hold the dosa/adai together.
Nutritious and highly filling, this Millet Adai is an excellent alternative for a meal and can be served with a variety of chutneys or Sambhar.
Ingredients for Millet Adai
- 1 cup Little Millet
- 1 cup Foxtail Millet
- 1 cup Barnyard Millet
- 1/4 cup Bengal gram dhal
- 1/4 cup Toor Dhal
- 1/4 cup Moong Dhal
- 7-8 Red Chillies As required
- 3 tsp Pepper
- 3 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Asafoetida A Pinch
- Curry leaves Few
- Salt As per taste
How to make Millet Adai
- Take a blender and add all the above ingredients and grind them to fine powder.
- This mix can be stored in an airtight container.
- When required, take some quantity of this mixture in a bowl, add required salt, water and mix them together.
- Make a coarse paste and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat a tawa and grease with oil.
- Pour the prepared batter and spread them gently.
- Add oil/ghee in the edges.
- Once cooked on one side, flip over and cook the other side.
- Serve hot with any chutney or podi.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !