Kuzha Puttu is a traditional Kerala dish made of rice flour, coconut milk and jaggery. It is also called as “puttu” or “kadala puttu” in different parts of India.
It is made of rice and coconut that are steamed in a cylindrical metal container called a puttu kutti. The rice and coconut mixture is then poured into the container, which has been greased with ghee or oil. Kuzha Puttu is usually served hot.
Kuzha Puttu Recipe
Ingredients for Kuzha Puttu
- 1 cup Raw Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Coconut grated
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- little Ghee
- 8 to 10 Cashew Nuts
- a pinch Salt
How to make Kuzha Puttu
- Dry roast the rice flour in a pan.
- Combine the sugar, coconut and cardamom powder in a bowl.
- Add salt and little water to the rice flour.
- Mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Add some of the rice mixture to a puttu maker and add the coconut mixture on top.
- Top up with the rice mixture and coconut mixture so that there are 4 distinct layers - rice, coconut, rice and coconut.
- Steam cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the puttu and transfer to a plate or banana leaf.
- Heat ghee in a small frying pan.
- Fry the cashewnuts and garnish the puttu with this.