Sev (Omapodi / Ompodi) is a very popular savoury snack across India made with chickpea flour, spices and then deep fried until crispy. Served as a teatime/evening snack, they also make for a great savoury during festival times. This is a variation made with Ragi Flour (Finger Millet Flour) and is equally tasty and delicious as the original one.
- Ragi Flour – 1 cup
- Bengal Gram Flour – 1/4 cup
- Rice Flour – 1/4 cup
- Carom Seeds (Omam) – 2 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak the omam in water for a while grind them.
- Filter the omam water by adding little water to it.
- Take a bowl, add all the flour, salt, omam water and knead them to a fine dough mixture.
- Heat a kadai under medium flame.
- Add oil for deep frying.
- Add some of the dough to an ompodi maker.
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium flame.
- Squeeze the ompodi maker over the hot oil.
- Fry till light golden brown and remove the excess oil using kitchen tissues.
- When it is cooled down, transfer them into an air tight jar.