Headless cleaned shrimp – 2 pounds
Oyster sauce – 1 tbsp
Hot chilli sauce – 1/2 tsp
Soy sauce, tamarind – 6 ounces
Water – 1 1/2 cups
Ginger root – 3 ounces
Garlic cloves – 4 each
Blachan – 1 tsp
Small red onions – 2 each
Oyster sauce – 3 tbsp
Dark soy sauce – 1 tbsp
Hot chilli sauce – 1 tbsp
Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
Packed brown sugar – 1/4 cup
1. Soak the tamarind in water and boil on a low flame for about 10 minutes or until the pastry coating separates from seeds. Discard the seeds and press through a sieve or food mill to extract the entire pulp and soupy liquid.
2. Marinate the cleaned and rinsed shrimps with 1 tbsp of this tamarind liquid, oyster sauce and hot chilli sauce for 1 hour.
3. Peel and finely sliver the ginger, garlic and onions.
4. Heat gently the blachan in a non-stick pan for 3 to 4 minutes to develop the flavors.
5. Add oyster, soy, chilli sauces and the remaining tamarind liquid with blachan and mix well.
6. Fry ginger and garlic in 2 tbsp of hot oil in a large bowl for 3 to 4 minutes or until they get golden brown.
7. Now add the marinated shrimps and extra oil (if required) to fry them further for about 3 minutes to turn the shrimps orange red.
8. Add sauces all over the shrimps and cook for about 8 minutes at a brisk bubble over high heat, until shrimps are aromatic and sauces have reduced and thickened to crust the shells.
9. Now add the onion wedges and sugar to adjust seasoning, sweetening and spice.
10. Serve with rice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !