Large mackerel or sardines – 10 (cleaned and head removed, marinated with salt and turmeric for 15 minutes)
Onions – 4, large sized and sliced
Tomatoes – 2, large sized and sliced
Garlic – 1, finely sliced
Ginger – 1 inch piece, finely sliced
Oil – 3 tbsp
Vinegar – 1 tbsp
Ground turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Red or green peppers and/or green chillies – 4
Water – as required
Salt as per taste
1. Make a layer of a few sliced onions and tomato in a pan and place half of the total fish on it.
2. Make another layer of onions/tomato and fishes on the first prepared layer.
3. Then sprinkle and scatter the garlic, ginger and remaining onions on this layer.
4. Pour the oil, vinegar and about 6 to 7 tbsp water over the fish.
5. Add salt.
6. Cook on a low heat until fish is half done.
7. Add peppers/chillies. Cook until fish is tender. Cook it for another 5 to 7 minutes. When done, turn off the gas.
8. Sprinkle red chilli powder and serve.