Whole chicken – 1, cut into serving pieces
Basmati rice – 2 cups, washed and pre-soaked
Onion – 1, peeled and chopped
Carrot – 1, chopped
Tomatoes – 1, pureed in blender
Almonds – for garnishing, slivered and fried
Raisins – for garnishing
Whole cardamom seeds – 10
Cloves – 10, long
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Water – 6 cups
Salt as per taste
Black pepper powder as per requirement
Cooking oil as per requirement
1. Take the carrots and onions and saute in the cooking oil.
2. Add to this the chicken and mix well.
3. Next, add cardamomom seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, salt and pepper powder. Mix well.
4. The chicken should be half-cooked.
5. Add the tomato puree to the half-done chicken and mix. Cover the pot and cook over a low flame until the chicken is well cooked.
6. Put the rice in a separate pot and boil it in water. When cooked, drain the water.
7. As the final step, cover the rice with the chicken and the spices, cover the pot and cook it over a very low flame for the next 5 minutes.
8. In order to add to the exquisite taste, garnish it with fried almonds and raisins.
This is not Afghani biriyani!!!!!!!!!