Samai Pongal (Little Millet Pongal) is a delicious and healthy pongal variation. Best suited for breakfast, it is best served hot with sambar and chutney.
Samai Arisi (Little Millet) – 1 cup
Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
Ginger – 1 inch piece, finely chopped or minced
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Water – 4 cups (or as required)
Ghee – 1 tblsp
Black Peppercorns – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 to 1 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies – 2, chopped
Curry Leaves – few
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
1. Heat ghee in a pressure pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the peppercorns and cumin seeds for 30 seconds.
3. Add the green chillies, ginger, moong dal, turmeric powder, curry leaves and asafoetida powder.
4. Stir well and cook for a minute.
5. Wash the samai arisi well and drain excess water.
6. Add this to the pan.
7. Pour 4 to 5 cups of water (or as required).
8. Stir well and close the pan with a lid.
9. Pressure cook until 4 to 5 whistles.
10. Switch off the flame.
11. Once the pressure has reduced, stir once or twice.
12. Serve hot.