To make chilas
Yellow moong dal – 2 cups
Green chillies – 4, chopped
Asafoetida – a pinch
Salt – as required
Oil – for cooking
Water – 1 cup
For the stuffing
Boiled potatoes – 2, cut into cubes
Steamed green peas – 1 cup
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Green chillies – 2, chopped
Dried mango powder or amchoor – 1 or 2 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Preparing the chilas:
1. Rinse and soak the moong dal properly for atleast 3 hours.
2. Grind the soaked dal along with green chillies with 1 cup of water in a blender.
3. Mix the asafoetida and salt with the dal paste.
To make the stuffing:
4. Heat oil in a pan and fry the cumin seeds until they crackle.
5. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and cook for a few minutes.
6. Removing from the heat, smash the mixture and make a smooth paste.
Frying the Chilas
7. Add a little oil to the non stick frying pan and heat lightly.
8. Take a little moong dal paste and spread on the pan about the size of a chappathi.
9. Smear a little oil around the mixture and cook for a few seconds till the side gets little brown and turn over to fry the other side.
10. Put some stuffing at the center and fold carefully like folding an omlette.
11. Do the same with the remaining mixture.