A delicious Mughlai style chicken cooked in a mildly spiced, creamy pistachio sauce. Best served with roti, naan or rice.
Chicken – 400 gms, skinless, boneless, chopped
Pistachios – 75 gms, unsalted + some for garnishing
Onion – 1, sliced
Tomato – 1, chopped
Black Pepper Powder – a pinch
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Chicken Stock – 1/2 cup
Plain Yogurt – 3 tblsp, whisked
Juice of 1/4 Lemon
Ginger Garlic Paste – 3 to 4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 to 1 1/2 tsp (optional)
Oil – 4 to 5 tsp
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped, for garnish
1. Grind the pistachios to a fine powder and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
3. Saute the onions for 15 to 20 minutes or until caramelized.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and cover the pan with a lid.
6. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are pulpy.
7. Add the garam masala powder, black pepper powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder and salt.
8. Mix well.
9. Add the chicken pieces and stir well.
10. Add the ground pistachios and stir again.
11. Pour the chicken stock and add the yogurt.
12. Stir again and cover the pan with a lid.
13. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
14. Remove the lid, stir once and adjust the seasoning.
15. If you want more gravy, add a little bit of water.
16. Garnish with some pistachios and coriander leaves.
17. Add lemon juice just before serving and stir gently.
18. Serve with roti, naan, parata or rice.