Naan is a type of leavened flatbread that is popular in India and Middle Eastern countries. It is made from white flour, yeast, yogurt, water, and salt.
The dough for naan is kneaded until it becomes soft and elastic. Homemade Naan can be eaten plain or with a variety of toppings such as butter, vegetables, cheese, or meat dishes.
It is traditionally cooked in a tandoor oven and served hot. However, this recipe will show you how to make it at home easily.
- 2 cup All purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1/2 cup Warm Milk
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Oil
- Garlic finely chopped
- Cumin Seeds
- Mint Leaves finely chopped
- Place all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk well . Make a well in flour and add milk and yogurt to it slowly and combine it together
- Knead well to form a soft dough. Dough should be soft enough to be able to dig your finger into it without any pressure
- Cover with damp cloth and let it sit in a warm place for 2 hours.
- After few hours, on a dusted work place , take out the dough and knead for about 5 minutes and divide into equal portions
- Dust again and flatten the portions slowly into a thinly rolled bread, a little thick and elongated like oval shaped
- If you like to add any toppings, you can add now like garlic, cumin seeds ,coriander leaves and some butter on naan on one side
- And apply some water on the other side
- Heat a wide skillet on medium heat, when its hot and place the wet side of naan on to the pan and cover with lid for 30-40 seconds, you will see some bubbles on it .
- Flip other side on direct flame with help of tongs until you see charred brown spots all over the naan.
- Smoother some butter over the naan and serve warm with side dish of choice.