Pakoda (or Pakora) is a popular South Indian tea time or evening snack. This variation is made using mint leaves and chickpeas. Onions can be added if desired.
White Chickpeas – 1 cup, soaked overnight or for 8 hours
Mint Leaves – 1/2 cup, finely chopped or grated
Onions – 1/2 cup, finely sliced (optional)
Green Chillies – 3
Ghee – 2 tsp
Cucumber Seeds – 2 tsp (optional)
Gram Flour – 1/4 cup
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
Rice Flour – 1/4 cup
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
Curry Leaves – few, fried in little oil
1. Drain the chickpeas well.
2. Combine with the green chillies and grind coarsely.
3. Add mint leaves, 1 tsp ghee, cucumber seeds, ginger garlic paste, salt and onions. Mix well.
4. Add the gram flour and rice flour.
5. Mix until evenly combined and the mixture is thick.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
7. Drop small portions of the mixture into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Alternatively you can make small balls of the mixture too.
8. Remove and drain excess oil.
9. Garnish with curry leaves.
10. Serve as a snack.