Pudalangai Pooranam – Stuffed Snake Gourd
one foot long tender snake gourd
1 tbsp lime juice
3/4 salt (to taste)
2 tbsp oil
Ground to a smooth paste
3/4 cup grated fresh coconut
3-4 green chillies
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1/4 cup water
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 dried red chilli, halved
1 sprig curry leaves
1. Chop off and discard both ends of a snake gourd. Slice snake gourd into 1 inch pieces, without peeling it. Scoop out seeds from within the slices to make hollow cylinders. Set aside
2. Mix spice paste with lime juice and half the salt.
3. Heat oil for tempering in a pan over moderate heat. Add remaining ingredients for tempering in the order given. When mustard seeds splutter, add spice paste and fry over low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring continously.
4. Remove pan from heat. Cool and stuff snake gourd cylinders with spices.
5. Place a frying pan over moderate heat and add 2 tbsp oil. Add stuffed snake gourd, sprinkle with a little water, and cook over low heat for 8-10 minutes, till tender. Stir gently, taking care not to break them.
Serve hot as a side dish with rice or roti.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !