Salna (or Chalna) is a popular side dish served with parotta or chapati. Commonly known as Parotta Salna (Parotta Chalna), this is commonly found in various roadside stalls across Tamil Nadu.
Onions – 2
Ripe Tomatoes – 7 to 8, chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – little
Curry Leaves – few
Oil – little
Salt as per taste
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
Peanuts – 2 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tsp
White Sesame Seeds – 1 tblsp
Cloves – 6 to 8
Dry Red Chillies – 10 to 12
1. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan.
2. Fry the coriander seeds, peanuts, bengal gram dal, sesame seeds, cloves and red chillies, separately.
3. Remove and cool.
4. To the same pan, add the chopped tomatoes and saute for a minute or two.
5. Combine this with the roasted ingredients and grind to a thick paste.
6. Heat 2 tsp oil in an another pan.
7. Fry the mustard seeds and curry leaves for 30 seconds.
8. Add the ginger garlic paste and stir for 30 seconds.
9. Add the onions and saute well.
10. Add the ground masala and salt.
11. Mix well and pour enough water.
12. Allow it to simmer and bring to a gentle boil.
13. Serve as a side dish with parotta or chapati.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !