Curried potatoes in a yogurt sauce
250 gm small potatoes
2 cups curd
1/2 tsp chilly powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
4 tbsp oil
Chop very fine:
1 large onion
2 green chillies
1 or 2 garlic cloves (optional)
a small piece of ginger
a handful of coriander leaves
1. Boil the potatoes in water. Drain the water, allow to cool, and then peel. If large potatoes are used, then cut into small pieces.
2. Heat half of the oil in a kadai (wok). Fry the potatoes to a golden brown, sprinkling a little salt. Remove and set aside to cool.
3. Pour the rest of the oil into the kadai, and fry the chopped ingredients (except the coriander) until the onions are browned. Add all the masala powders except the pepper. Fry until done, remove the kadai from the heat, and allow to cool.
4. Add half of the chopped coriander, potatoes and some salt, if necessary. Mix well. Beat the curds and add to mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into a deep bowl and garnish with the rest of the coriander. Sprinkle the pepper. Serve chilled if desired.