A delicious and authentic Andhra style Egg Curry where hard-boiled eggs are cooked in an onion-tomato gravy. This dish is best served with rice or as a side dish with dosa, idli or roti.
Eggs – 6 to 8, hard-boiled, peeled
Onions – 2 to 3, finely chopped
Green Chillies – 3 to 4, slit
Tomatoes – 4 to 5, chopped
Ginger – 1 inch piece, peeled, sliced
Turmeric Powder – 3/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 3/4 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Tamarind Paste – 1 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – handful
Oil – 1/4 cup
Cinnamon – 1 medium stick, broken
Black Mustard Seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
Coconut Milk – 125 ml
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Salt as per taste
1. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the mustard seeds for 20 seconds.
3. Add the onions and saute until light golden brown.
4. Add the cinnamon and green chillies.
5. Fry for a minute or two.
6. Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Add the ginger, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and stir-fry for a minute.
8. Cook until the oil starts to separate.
9. Add the tamarind paste and 1 cup of water.
10. Simmer for a minute or two.
11. Add the coconut milk, salt and curry leaves.
12. Stir well and simmer for a minute.
13. Add the eggs and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes over low flame.
14. Stir gently ensuring the eggs stay intact.
15. Garnish with coriander leaves.
16. Serve with hot rice or as a side dish with dosas.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !