A delicious, popular and simple to make Malabar style fish curry. Best served with hot rice.
Vanjaram Fish (Seer Fish) Fillets – 100 gms
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Coconut – 50 gms, grated
Green Chillies – 2, small
Ginger – 1/4 inch piece, peeled
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Tamarind Extract – 1/2 cup
Sambar Onions (Shallots) – 2 tblsp, finely chopped
Salt as per taste
Coconut Oil – 1 tblsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Dry Red Chilli – 1
Curry Leaves – few
1. Grind the coconut and turmeric powder with little water to a fine paste.
2. Combine the tamarind extract, red chilli powder, ginger, salt and green chillies in a pan.
3. Add the ground coconut paste and mix well.
4. Place the pan over medium flame.
5. Simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Add the fish and salt.
7. Cook for a few minutes or until the mixture starts to thicken.
8. Fry the tempering ingredients in coconut oil and add to the fish.
9. Add the onions and stir gently.
10. Remove after a minute.
11. Serve hot with rice.