Mumbai Masala sandwich is a popular street food in Mumbai, India. It is usually made with a mixture of vegetables like potatoes, peas, carrots and onions which are cooked with masalas and then spread onto a sandwich bread.
It is also served with potato chips or french fries on the side.
The Mumbai masala sandwich is a spicy and tangy take on the classic Indian sandwich.
Mumbai Masala Sandwich
- 4 White Bread Slices
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Onion medium, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch Ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- a pinch Fenugreek Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Potato boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/4 tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1/4 tsp Chaat Masala Powder
- little Coriander Leaves
- as required Butter
- as per taste Salt
- 2 tsp Oil
For the green chutney
- 1 cup Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup Mint Leaves chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Tamarind Water
- as required Water
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium flame.
- Add the cumin seeds, ginger, green chillies and garlic.
- Saute for a minute or two.
- Add the onions and little salt.
- Cook until the onions turn slightly brown.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, fenugreek powder and coriander powder.
- Mix well and cook for a minute or two.
- Now add the potatoes and mix well.
- Add the garam masala powder, dry mango powder, coriander leaves and chaat masala powder
- Add salt and mix well.
- Remove the pan from the flame and keep aside for 5 to 6 minutes.
- To make the green chutney, grind all the ingredients until smooth.
- To make the mumbai masala sandwich, spread the chutney on two bread slices on both sides.
- Add a generous amount of the potato stuffing on one slice and cover it with the other.
- Heat little butter in a pan over medium flame.
- Toast the sandwich on both sides until crisp.
- Serve with chutney or ketchup.