Kozhi Milagu Varuval is a classic and popular Chettinad chicken delicacy. Cooked in a tomato and shallot gravy, pepper powder is added at the end to give it a spicy flavour.
Chicken – 500 gms, chopped into bite-sized pieces
Sambar Onions (Shallots) – 1 cup, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 4, finely chopped
Green Chillies – 4, finely chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Pepper Powder – 2 tblsp
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tblsp
Garam Masala Powder – 2 tblsp
Curry Leaves – few
Mustard Seeds – little
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Oil as required
1. Heat little oil in a pan.
2. Fry the mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies for a minute.
3. Add the onions and saute until golden.
4. Add garam masala powder, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and stir-fry for a minute.
5. Add the tomatoes and stir again.
6. When the mixture resembles a gravy, add coriander powder and red chilli powder.
7. Add the chicken pieces and stir until evenly coated.
8. Simmer until chicken pieces are cooked, stirring from time to time.
9. Add pepper powder and stir to mix.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves.
11. Serve with rice.