A simple and tasty pachadi with bitter gourd. Goes well with idli, dosa or rice.
Bitter Gourd – 250 gms, chopped
Onions – 2, small, finely chopped
Coconut – 1/2, grated
Oil – 1 1/2 tblsp
Sambar Onions (Shallots) – 2 tblsp, finely chopped
Tomato – 1, finely chopped
Garlic – 1 clove, chopped
Jaggery – 1/3 cup
Salt as per taste
Mustard Seeds – little
Green Chillies – 1/2 to 1 tsp, chopped
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Red Chilli Powder – little
Cumin Powder – little
Garam Masala Powder – little
Coriander Powder – little
1. Heat little oil in a pan.
2. Saute the bitter gourds for a minute or two and remove.
3. Keep aside.
4. Add the remaining oil to the pan.
5. Fry the mustard seeds for 10 seconds.
6. Add green chillies, sambar onions, onions, tomatoes, garlic, coriander leaves, salt and stir to mix well.
7. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes.
8. Add the masala powders and a little water.
9. After a minute add the reserved bitter gourds.
10. Cook for 15 minutes and add jaggery.
11. Keep stirring for a few minutes to prevent it from sticking to the bottom.
12. Add coconut and remove from flame.
13. Mix well.
14. Serve with idli, dosa or rice.
15. Stays good for a day.