A popular and delicious dish down south, it is typically served with steamed rice and side dish of choice.
Drumsticks – 1 cup, chopped
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Toor Dal – 1/2 cup, cooked
Tamarind Extract – 1/2 to 3/4 cup
Salt as per taste
Ghee/Oil as required
Coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
Urad Dal – 1 tblsp
Peppercorns – 1/4 tblsp
Dry Red Chilli – 1
Coriander Seeds – 1/2 tblsp
Urad Dal – little
Mustard Seeds – little
Curry Leaves – few
1. Dry roast the coconut, urad dal, peppercorns, red chilli and coriander seeds separately.
2. Grind them together to a smooth powder.
3. Heat a pan of water over medium flame.
4. Add turmeric powder and a pinch of salt.
5. Add the drumstick pieces and bring to a boil.
6. When it is half cooked, add the tamarind extract.
7. Add the ground powder, cooked dal and bring to a boil.
8. Heat little ghee in a frying pan.
9. Fry the tempering ingredients and add to the kootu.
10. Remove and serve hot.