Malvani Shrimp Fry is a delightful seafood dish hailing from the vibrant coastal cuisine of Malvan, a region in the western Indian state of Maharashtra. This recipe truly celebrates the sea, combining fresh shrimp with a harmonious blend of spices to create a crispy and flavorful treat.
The journey to shrimp perfection begins with marination. The shrimps are bathed in the zesty embrace of lemon juice and a pinch of salt, infusing them with a refreshing tang. Next, a rich mix of ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and another pinch of salt is applied, allowing the spices to permeate the shrimp’s flesh. The marination rest in the fridge for 30 minutes, letting those flavours meld together.
Now comes the crispy magic! A mixture of rice flour and rava (semolina) is prepared and ready to coat the marinated shrimp. These covered gems are pan-fried in hot oil until they turn golden and irresistibly crisp. The aroma of Malvani spices fills the air as you cook, promising a delightful dining experience.
Enjoy Malvani Shrimp Fry piping hot, straight from the pan. It’s a crowd-pleaser as an appetizer, side dish, or even the meal’s star. Pair it with steamed rice or a simple salad, or enjoy it with a squeeze of lemon for an extra freshness.
Malvani Shrimp Fry
- 15 to 20 Shrimps (shelled and deveined)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Rava (Semolina)
- 1 tbsp Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Mix the shrimp with lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Set aside to marinate for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, a pinch of salt, and ginger garlic paste to the marinated shrimp. Mix well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Combine rice flour and rava on a plate.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Roll the marinated shrimp in the rice flour and rava mixture.
- Pan-fry the coated shrimps in hot oil until they turn golden and crisp.
- Remove from the pan and drain excess oil.
- Serve Malvani Shrimp Fry hot and enjoy the coastal flavours.
Malvani cuisine is renowned for its flavorful seafood dishes, and among them, malvani prawns fry and malvani shrimp curry are standout recipes. One can easily find authentic malvani prawn and shrimp recipes in English, allowing food enthusiasts to recreate these delectable dishes at home.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Can I use frozen shrimp for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen shrimp for Malvani Shrimp Fry, but make sure to thaw and pat them dry before marinating. Fresh shrimp, however, will provide the best flavor and texture.
Is Malvani Shrimp Fry very spicy?
The level of spiciness can be adjusted to your taste. The recipe calls for 1 tsp of red chili powder, which provides a moderate spice level. You can increase or decrease the amount of chili powder to suit your preference.
What can I serve with Malvani Shrimp Fry?
A3: Malvani Shrimp Fry is incredibly versatile. It can be served as an appetizer with mint chutney or as a side dish with steamed rice and a simple salad. It also pairs wonderfully with traditional Indian bread like naan or roti for a heartier meal.