Parboiled rice – 2 cups
Raw rice – 2 cups
Black gram dal – 1 cup
Cooked rice – 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
A pinch baking soda
Oil for smearing moulds
1. Soak the 2 kinds of rice together with water. Soak the black gram dal in water separately, And let both soak for a minimum of 5-6 hours.
2. Thoroughly wash the black gram dal and grind adding water, Till the mixture is smooth, Light and frothy. Wash and grind the 2 kinds of rice and the cooked rice into a paste without making it absolutely smooth as one does for dosais.
Add salt to taste and mix thoroughly. Pour into a large bowl and allow to ferment overnight.
3. Mix the batter again in the morning, and add baking soda, First mixing it in a spoon of batter. Mix well. The batter should be thick like cake batter. Water may b added if it is too thick.
4. Smear idli moulds with oil, and pour the batter in each of them till they are three quarters full. Steam the idlis in a pressure cooker or a stremaer for about 10 minutes.
5. Serve hot with chutney, molagapudi or sambhar.