Usili is a simple and delicious dish from Tamil Nadu. Popular in Tamil Cuisine, Usili is generally made with beans. This one is made with Vazhakkai (Plantain/Raw Banana).
Vazhakkai – 1, finely sliced
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Onion – 1, big
Mustard Seeds – little
Urad Dal – little
Curry Leaves – few
Coriander Leaves – few
Oil – 3 tblsp
Salt as per taste
Toor Dal – 1/3 cup
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tblsp
Moong Dal – 3 tblsp
Dry Red Chillies – 3
1. Soak the toor dal, bengal gram dal, moong dal and red chillies for 30 to 45 minutes.
2. Add a little salt and grind to a coarse consistency.
3. Add turmeric powder, asafoetida powder and mix well.
4. Pour into a idli plate and cook for 5 minutes. Remove and cool.
5. Once cooled, crumble them nicely or grind them in a mixie to a coarse mixture.
6. Heat oil in a pan.
7. Fry the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves for 30 seconds.
8. Add the onions and saute well.
9. Add the vazhakkai pieces and stir well.
10. Add salt and sprinkle some water.
11. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5 minutes over low flame.
12. Add the crumbled dal mixture and stir well until mixed.
13. Garnish with coriander leaves.