Kovakkai Poriyal, or Kovakkai Fry or Kovakkai Curry, is a simple and delicious South Indian dish with ivy gourd. This vegetable is commonly used in Indian cuisine. The dish is a stir-fry of ivy gourd, onions, and a blend of aromatic spices that give it a unique flavour and texture.
This popular side dish is often served with rice and other South Indian dishes like sambar, rasam, or any variety of kuzhambu. It is easy to prepare and can be made with just a few ingredients. The ivy gourd used in this recipe is a good source of dietary fibre, vitamins, and minerals. It is a low-calorie vegetable that is also believed to have anti-diabetic properties.
- 250 g Kovakkai (Ivy Gourd / Tindora)
- 1 Onion medium, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato small, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- a small pinch Turmeric Powder
- as required Oil
- as per taste Salt
- Slice the kovakkai into thin strips or circles. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Saute the onions and tomatoes for a minute.
- Add the kovakkai pieces, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Stir well and cover the pan with a lid.
- Keep stirring from time to time until the kovakkais are cooked.
- Switch off the flame.
- Serve as a side dish with rice dishes.