3 cups plain flour (maida)
3/4 cup ghee, melted & cool
Curds 1/2 cup
1/4 tsp. soda bicarb
1/4 tsp. fine cardamom powder
ghee to deep fry
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
5-6 drops lemon juice
- Sieve together flour, and soda. Add cardamom powder.
- Rub in ghee thoroughly.
- Add curds and mix in one direction only.
- Make stiff dough, add a tbsp. of tepid water if required.
- Keep aside covered in a cool place or fridge for 1-2 hours
- Make small rounds balls about 3” in diameter.
- Press to flatten a bit, and make depression in center with thumb.
- This is the traditional balushahi shape.
- Heat ghee well in frying pan, cool a bit, then add a few patties.
- Return to slow flame. Do not invert until one side is pinkish.
- Invert carefully with knife, and fry other side similarly.
- Repeat for all dough.
- Meanwhile prepare syrup of 1 thread with sugar, water and lemon juice.
- Drain, cool a bit, tranfer to syrup, allow to soak for 5 minutes.
- Remove and keep on a perforated plate to drain excess syrup.
- Cool completely, before transferring to air tight container.
Sugar Coated Balushahis:
- Reheat remaining syrup till 2-1/2 thread consistency is obtained.
- Coat above balushahis with this, or dip on side in the syrup.
- Keep on mesh to cool, and let the sugar set to a white coat.
- Sprinkle some red rose petals and crushed cardamom over them to decorate.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !