Tomato Rasam or Thakkali Rasam is a most popular and traditional South Indian dish. A spicy and tangy comfort food, it is typically served with hot steamed rice and a poriyal (side dish) of choice, it is also served as a soup especially when you are suffering from cold. Tomato Rasam is also good for digestion.
Ingredients for Tomato Rasam
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal
- 5 to 6 Tomatoes chopped
- 2 cup Tamarind Water
- a pinch Turmeric Powder
- 3 tsp Rasam Powder
- 1 tblsp Ghee or Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Red Chilli large
- a pinch Asafoetida Powder
- 2 Green Chillies slit lengthwise
- small handful Curry Leaves
- Coriander Leaves to garnish
- Salt as per taste
- 1 inch Ginger peeled, finely chopped
How to make Tomato Rasam
- Rinse and wash the dal.
- Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles and switch off the flame.
- When the pressure reduces, mash the dal well and keep aside.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the mustard seeds and fry for 10 seconds.
- Add the cumin seeds, red chilli, asafoetida powder, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Add the tamarind water, turmeric powder, rasam powder and salt.
- Mix well and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the cooked and mashed dal.
- Pour 2 1/2 to 3 cups of water and bring to a gentle boil.
- When the foam starts forming on top, switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !