Fish – 1 Large or 2 Medium (like snapper or mullet, heads removed)
Cornflour – 4 tsp
Vegetable Oil – 1/2 cup
Garlic – 1 tblsp, chopped
Fresh Root Ginger – 1 tblsp, chopped
Shallots – 2 tblsp, chopped
Cherry Tomatoes – 225 gms
Red Wine Vinegar – 2 tblsp
Granulated Sugar – 2 tblsp
Tomato Ketchup – 2 tblsp
Water – 3 tblsp
Black Pepper – ground, as per taste
Salt as required
Fresh Coriander Leaves – to garnish
Spring Onions – shredded, to garnish
1. Thoroughly rinse and clean the fish. Score the skin diagonally on both sides of the fish.
2. Coat the fish lightly on both sides with 3 tsp of the cornflou. Shake off any excess.
3. Heat the oil in a kadai and slide the fish into the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and fry the fish until crisp and brown, about 6 to 7 minutes on each side.
4. Remove the fish with a spatula and place on a large platter.
5. Pour off all but about 2 tblsp of the oil and add the garlic, ginger and shallots. Fry until golden.
6. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook until they burst open. Stir in the vinegar, sugar and tomato ketchup. Simmer gently for 1-2 minutes and adjust the seasoning.
7. Mix the remaining 1 tsp cornflour with the water. Stir into the sauce and heat until it thickens.
8. Pour the sauce over the fish and garnish with coriander leaves and shredded spring onions.