- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Moong Dal – 1/4 cup, dry roasted and cooked
- Milk – 5 to 6 cups
- Water – 2 cups
- Jaggery – 2 cups, grated
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cashewnuts – 10, broken
- Raisins – 10 to 12
- Ghee – 2 tblsp
- Pacha Karpooram (Borneal Flakes) – a small pinch
- Saffron – 1/4 tsp, dissolved in 1 tblsp hot milk
- Boil milk with water in a large pan.
- When it starts to boil, add the raw rice and cook until thick, stirring from time to time.
- In a different pan, heat jaggery with little water and cook till it is fully dissolved.
- Strain the jaggery to remove any impurities.
- Combine the dal, jaggery and rice together.
- Cook over medium flame, stirring regularly.
- Add the saffron with the milk and stir well.
- Heat a little ghee in a small frying pan and fry the cashews and raisins.
- Add the fried cashews, raisins, cardamom powder and pacha karpooram to the pongal.
- Mix well and remove from flame.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !