Vermicelli Pongal (or Semiya Pongal) is a traditional South Indian dish that’s served as a dish during the festival of Pongal. It’s served as a dish for breakfast. The dish is usually served hot or warm when it is prepared.
Vermicelli Pongal Recipe
Ingredients for Vermicelli Pongal
- 1 cup Roasted Vermicelli
- 3 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Green Gram Dal
- as per taste Asafoetida
- as per taste Salt
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 10 Cashewnuts
For Masala Powder:
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 small piece Cinnamon
- 2 Cardamom - 2
- 2 Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 8 Black Peppercorns
How to make Vermicelli Pongal
- Fry the masala powder ingredients using 1/2 tsp of ghee and grind it to a powder.
- Cook the green gram dal using 1 cup of water until dal splits.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, coriander, cumin seeds and pepper.
- Fry well and powder it in a mixie.
- Pour 2 cups of hot water on top of the cooked dal.
- Add salt, asafoetida, turmeric powder, fried vermicelli, masala powder and 2 tsp of ghee.
- Close the lid and allow to cook until vermicelli turns soft.
- Mix well and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Heat the remaining ghee and fry the cashewnuts till golden brown.
- Pour it on top of the pongal.
- Serve hot.