Dabeli, also known as Indian burger, is a very popular Gujarati street food snack. Similar to Vada Pav, it consists of spicy mashed potatoes placed inbetween a burger bun (pav), garnished with sev and pomegranate seeds.
Sev – 1 cup
Pav Buns – 4, sliced into halves
Potatoes – 2, boiled, peeled, mashed
Salt as per taste
Butter – 4 tblsp
Sugar – 1 tblsp
Onions – 2, finely chopped
Coriander Leaves – 1 tblsp, finely chopped
Juice of 1 Lemon
Oil as required
Cumin Seeds – 1 tblsp
Chaat Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Black Salt – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Peanuts – 1/4 cup, roasted
Garlic Chutney as required
Pomegranate Seeds – to garnish
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Stir-fry the cumin seeds for 30 seconds.
3. Saute the onions for a minute or two.
4. Add the potatoes and mix well.
5. Add the chaat masala powder, black salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice, sugar and salt.
6. Add coriander leaves and mix well.
7. Add the roasted peanuts and stir well until well combined.
8. Remove from flame and keep aside.
9. Heat a tawa over medium flame.
10. Toast the pav buns, adding butter, until golden.
11. Spread garlic chutney on one side.
12. Add the potato masala and cover with the other half.
13. Place it on the hot tawa for 30 to 45 seconds and remove.
14. Sprinkle sev on top and garnish with pomegranate seeds.
15. Serve at once with sauce or ketchup.