Dabeli, also known as Kutchi Dabeli or Indian burger, is a very popular Gujarati street food snack found across India. Similar to Vada Pav, it consists of spicy mashed potatoes placed in-between a burger bun (pav), garnished with sev and pomegranate seeds. Dabeli’s can be made in a jiffy and does not require elaborate prepartion.
Ingredients for Dabeli
- 1 cup Sev
- 4 Pav Buns sliced into halves
- 2 Potatoes boiled, peeled, mashed
- Salt as per taste
- 4 tblsp Butter
- 1 tblsp Sugar
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- 1 tblsp Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Oil as required
- 1 tblsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/4 cup Peanuts roasted
- Garlic Chutney as required
- Pomegranate Seeds to garnish
How to make Dabeli
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Stir-fry the cumin seeds for 30 seconds.
- Saute the onions for a minute or two.
- Add the potatoes and mix well.
- Add the chaat masala powder, black salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice, sugar and salt.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Add the roasted peanuts and stir well until well combined.
- Remove from flame and keep aside.
- Heat a tawa over medium flame.
- Toast the pav buns, adding butter, until golden.
- Spread garlic chutney on one side.
- Add the potato masala and cover with the other half.
- Place it on the hot tawa for 30 to 45 seconds and remove.
- Sprinkle sev on top and garnish with pomegranate seeds.
- Serve at once with sauce or ketchup.