Sugar – 1 kg
Cardamoms – 15, powdered
Flour – 1 kg
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Rice Flour – 4 tblsp
Oil – 4 cups
1. Boil sugar with 5 to 6 cups of water till a one string consistency syrup is formed.
2. Add cardamom powder and rose water.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Remove from the heat but ensure it stays warm.
5. Sieve the flour and baking powder together.
6. Knead with water to make a pliable, soft and non-sticky dough.
7. Cover and keep for 60 to 75 minutes.
8. Knead again.
9. Make small lime-sized balls.
10. Roll them out as thinly as possible into a square.
11. Dab with a little ghee all over.
12. Sprinkle rice flour on top and spread evenly.
13. Roll the dough tightly from one end to the other.
14. Fold the roll over and over into a circular shell.
15. Place on the board like a flower with the centre of the roll seen in the middle.
16. Press down with the rolling pin to spread out to 2 inch in diameter.
17. Repeat for all the remaining dough.
18. Heat oil and fry the flowers to a crisp golden colour.
19. Remove, drain and put into the sugar syrup for 3 minutes.
20. Remove and drain.
Tip: Instead of a sugar syrup, you can also powder the sugar and sprinkle it on top.
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Padrapeni from Awesome Cuisine.