Onions – 2, large and quartered
Cinnamon sticks – 2
Cloves – 10
Peppercorns – 12
Cardamoms – 6
Coriander seeds – 1/2 tsp
Lamb – 500 gms, cubed
Salt as per taste
Rice – 250 gms
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Almonds/Pine nuts – 1 tbsp
Saffron – 1/2 tsp, soaked in 1/4 cup warm milk
Ghee – 4 tbsp
1. Make spice potli of onions, cinnamon, cloves, 8 peppercorns, 4 cardamoms and coriander seeds.
2. Put bag of spices in a pan, add meat, salt and enough water to cover. Cook until water reduces to half. Remove bag of spices and squeeze out the flavor. Add the sugar and juice. Cook until liquid is syrupy and glazy.
3. In another pan, boil the rice in water with the remaining spices and some salt until half done. Drain.
4. In a greased casserole, arrange a layer of rice, then the meat, then remaining rice.
5. Pour saffron milk over top, sprinkle with nuts, cover tightly and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350F or at 180C.