Chicken – 175 gms, boneless, cut into bite-sized pieces
Sesame Oil – 1 to 2 tblsp
Garlic – 3 cloves, minced
Spring Onion – 1, chopped
For the marinade:
Chinese Rice Wine – 1 tblsp
Five Spice Powder – 1 tsp
Soy Sauce – 1/2 tbslp
Sesame Oil – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Corn Flour – 1/2 tsp, dissolved in 1/2 tblsp water
1. Mix the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Add the chicken pieces and mix well so that each piece is evenly coated with the marinade.
3. Marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
4. After 20 minutes, drain the marinade and reserve the liquid.
5. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high flame.
6. Stir-fry the garlic and chicken for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add the reserved marinade liquid and spring onions.
8. Simmer for 2 minutes.
9. When the liquid has almost dried up, remove and transfer to a serving dish.
Note: Five Spice Powder is a blend of peppercorns, cinnamon, clove, fennel and star anise. These are ground to a fine powder and used in marinades or sauces.