Raw Rice – 1 cup
Green Gram Dal – 1/4 cup
Water – 4 to 5 cups
Salt to taste
Pepper – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece, finely grated
Ghee – 2 tblsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
1. Heat a kadai and dry roast the dal until it is hot.
2. Add one cup of water and allow to cook until it splits.
3. Wash rice and pressure cook with 3 1/2 cups of water, until very soft.
4. Mash rice lightly when it is still hot using the back of spoon.
5. Mix the rice with dal along with 1 tblsp of ghee.
6. Mix gently.
7. Add salt and cook under low flame for few minutes, stirring once or twice.
8. Heat the remaining ghee.
9. Fry the cashewnuts, pepper, cumin seeds, curry leaves, ginger, asafoetida and pour on top of the pongal.
10. Mix well.
11. Serve hot.