Ven Pongal is a popular breakfast dish across South India made with rice and moong dal. It is a staple dish made during the harvest festival of Pongal. Most South Indian restaurants serve pongal & vada combo as one of the breakfast items on their menu. Ven Pongal goes well with sambar, coconut chutney or kathirikkai gojju.
Ven Pongal Recipe
Ingredients for Ven Pongal
- 500 g Raw Rice
- 250 g Moong Dal
- 50 g Cashewnuts
- 20 g Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- 3 Green Chillies
- 50 g Ghee
- Salt to Taste
How to make Ven Pongal
- In a pan, dry roast the dal until it is slightly aromatic.
- Take a pressure cooker and heat half the ghee.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds, green chillies and pepper.
- Add rice and dal.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add milk and 5 cups of water.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cover and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles until the rice & dal are fully cooked and slightly mushy.
- Heat the remaining ghee and fry the cashewnuts & curry leaves.
- Garnish the pongal with this & serve hot.
- Serve with chutney and sambar or kathirikai gojju.