- Raw Rice – 2 cups
- Green Gram Dal – 1 cup, lightly dry roasted
- Jaggery – 4 cups, grated
- Ghee – 5 tblsp
- Cashewnuts – 20 to 25, broken
- Raisins – 20 to 25
- Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
- Water – 10 to 12 cups
- Kesari Powder – 1/2 to 1 tsp (optional)
- Combine the dal and rice.
- Wash well and pressure cook with water till 4 whistles.
- Meanwhile, add little water to jaggery and cook till it dissolves fully.
- Strain the jaggery syrup and keep aside.
- Heat a pan over moderate flame.
- Add the jaggery syrup and cook till it reaches a soft ball consistency.
- Add the rice-dal mixture and stir gently.
- In a small frying pan, heat ghee and fry the raisins and cashewnuts.
- Pour this over the pongal.
- Add cardamom powder and stir well. If you want the pongal to have the dark red/brown colour, add kesari powder and mix well.
- Cook till the pongal is thick.
- Remove and serve hot.
Note: Soft ball consistency means when a drop of jaggery is dropped into a bowl of water, it forms a soft ball.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !