Brinjals – 500 gms, chopped into 1 inch pieces
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Tamarind Extract – 1 cup
Red Chilli Powder – 50 gms
Fenugreek Powder – 1 tsp
Oil – 100 ml
Salt as per taste
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Oil – 1 tsp
1. Combine tamarind extract, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and fenugreek powder in a bowl.
2. Add the brinjals and mix well.
3. Marinate the brinjals overnight.
4. Then drain the tamarind extract and transfer the brinjals to a plastic sheet.
5. Keep the brinjals under the sun for a day and remove.
6. Heat 100 ml oil and add the brinjals to this.
7. Mix well.
8. In a separate pan, heat oil for tempering and fry the tempering ingredients.
9. Pour this over the brinjals.
10. Transfer to a clean, sterilized jar and store.
11. Use as desired.
Sugar is the main ingredient of Patak’s brinjal pickle, but this recipe has no sugar at all. I’ll give it a try and report back.
This is an absolutely amazing pickle. Thanks! Its better than Pataks which I love.
This is amazing. We are in south west france and can’t get Pataks here, and have been going mad looking for somthing similar – but now this is absolutely just as good, if not better. Brilliant ! Can’t wait for it to cool down so we can try it on some sandwiches for tea. Thank you so so much. We will never worry again about running out of Pataks.
truly delicious recipe, as good or better than bought ones like Pataks. Sensational with curries or in sandwiches
This is the real thing, its as good or better than bought ones like Pataks, it really is delicious.