Toor Dal – 1/2 cup, boiled, mashed
Tomatoes – 4
Peppercorns – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Garlic – 2 cloves
Tamarind Extract – 2 cups
Water – 5 cups
Rasam Powder – 3 tsp
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Ghee – as required
Dry Red Chillies – few
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – few, chopped
Curry Leaves – few, chopped
1. Grind together the tomatoes, garlic and cumin seeds.
2. Heat a pan over medium flame.
3. Pour 3 cups of wate and add the ground tomato paste.
4. Add tamarind extract, salt, rasam powder and turmeric powder.
5. Bring to a boil or till the raw smell disappears.
6. Add the mashed dal and cook for another minute or two.
7. Heat ghee in a frying pan over medium flame.
8. Fry the dry red chillies, mustard seeds, urad dal and asafoetida powder for a minute.
9. Add this to the rasam and mix well.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and curry leaves.
11. Remove and serve hot with rice.