Unniappam is a traditional dish from Kerala, India. It is a dessert dish and it is served hot. It has a slightly sweet taste because of the jaggery that is used in its preparation.
The traditional Unni appam or Unniyappam is made using rice flour, sugar or jaggery and water. The ingredients are mixed well to form a batter like consistency. Then the batter is dropped in hot oil and deep fried until it turns crisp brown in color and then served warm with coconut milk or jaggery syrup.
Ingredients for Unniappam
- 1 cup Raw Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup Maida
- 1 Medium sized Banana peeled, mashed
- 1/4 cup Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 cup Jaggery powdered
- 1/4 Coconut chopped
- 2 tbsp Oil
How to make Unniappam
- Combine the maida and rice flour in a bowl.
- Dissolve the jaggery in 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Fry the coconut pieces in little ghee and add to the jaggery syrup.
- Add the mashed banana and mix well.
- When the mixture starts to boil, pour into the flour mixture and mix well.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well to an idli batter consistency.
- Mix the remaining ghee and oil.
- Grease an unniyappam pan with ghee and oil mixture and heat over moderate flame.
- Pour the batter in the cups and cook till golden brown.
- Flip over and cook on the other side.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Serve as a snack.