Indulge in the colours of freshness with our Green and White Bean Salad. This delightful dish combines two types of beans, Great Northern and fine green beans, to create a harmonious medley of textures and flavours. With a zesty lemon Dijon dressing to tie it all together, this salad is a celebration of summer on your plate.
Great Northern beans, soaked overnight and simmered to tender perfection, provide a creamy and hearty base. Meanwhile, the crisp, vibrant green beans add a satisfying crunch and a burst of green goodness. Sliced red onions bring a touch of sharpness, black olives offer a salty bite, and chives lend a gentle oniony freshness.
But the dressing truly elevates this salad—a simple yet vibrant blend of lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and extra virgin olive oil. This dressing brings a zesty, tangy kick that beautifully complements the beans and vegetables. A dash of salt and pepper ties everything together.
Our Green and White Bean Salad is a versatile dish that is refreshing at picnics, barbecues, or potlucks. It’s also nutritious and satisfying, perfect for light lunches or dinners. For more salad inspiration, you might also love our Mediterranean Chickpea or Classic Caesar Salad.
Green and White Bean Salad
- 1/2 cup Great Northern Beans (dried and soaked overnight)
- 225 g Fine Green Beans (trimmed)
- 1/4 Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- 12 Black Olives (pitted)
- 1 tsp Chives (chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 6 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Drain the soaked Great Northern beans and place them in a saucepan with enough fresh water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer rapidly for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat slightly and cook for 30 minutes or until tender, adding salt in the last 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Blanch the fine green beans in a pot of boiling water for 4 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl and let it stand.
- While both beans are still slightly warm, transfer them to a warmed serving dish.
- Scatter the sliced red onions, pitted black olives, and chopped chives over the beans.
- Re-whisk the dressing and drizzle it over the salad.
- Serve immediately and enjoy the burst of flavours.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I prepare Green and White Bean Salad in advance?
Yes, you can prepare Green and White Bean Salad in advance. However, it’s best to add the dressing just before serving to keep the salad fresh and crisp. Store the dressed salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a day, and it will still be delicious.
What can I serve alongside Green and White Bean Salad for a complete meal?
Green and White Bean Salad pairs wonderfully with grilled chicken, salmon, or shrimp for a protein-rich meal. It also complements dishes like quiche or frittata for a balanced brunch. If you prefer a vegetarian option, consider adding crumbled feta cheese or roasted chickpeas for extra flavor and protein.
Can I use canned beans instead of dried beans in this recipe?
Yes, you can use canned Great Northern beans for convenience. Simply rinse and drain them before adding them to the salad. However, if you have the time, using dried beans that are soaked and cooked as per the recipe will impart a richer flavor and texture to the dish.
Note: image is for illustration purposes only and not that of the actual recipe.