Rogan Josh is a popular mutton/lamb dish from the Kashmiri cuisine and made during the cold winter months. Packed with flavours, this is best served with roti, naan or pulaos. There are numerous variations of this dish available. Some variations have onions and tomatoes in them while others will not have.
- Lamb – 500 gms, cubed
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup, whisked
- Asafoetida – a small pinch
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Ginger Powder – 1 tsp
- Saunf Powder – 2 tsp
- Saffron – 1/4 tsp, soaked in 2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon – one inch stick
- Black Cardamoms – 1
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Ghee – 1/3 cup
- Salt as per taste
- Combine the yogurt, cloves, cinnamon, black cardamom and bay leaf in a bowl.
- Marinate the lamb in this mixture for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pan over moderate flame.
- Add the marinated lamb and cover the pan with a lid.
- Remove the lid after a minute or two.
- Add asafoetida and salt. Stir well.
- Increase the flame to high and cook till yogurt dries completely.
- Reduce flame and stir well to prevent the lamb from sticking to the pan.
- Add a little water and stir till lamb pieces turn light brown.
- Cook till the oil floats to the top.
- Add red chilli powder and increase flame to high.
- Stir and add water, ginger powder and saunf.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the saffron strands cook till lamb is tender.
- Add garam masala powder and stir to mix well.
- Remove and serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !