Duck – 1, large, quartered
Oil – 8 tblsp
Onion – 1, thickly sliced
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Walnuts – 450 gms, shelled, ground
Chicken Stock – 900 ml
Salt – 1 tsp
Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Pomegranate Juice – 150 ml
Juice of 2 Lemons
Sugar – 50 gms
Walnuts – few, shelled, whole
1. Heat half the oil in a frying pan.
2. Fry the onion and turmeric until onion is soft and golden.
3. Remove the onion and transfer to a large pan.
4. Add the ground walnuts and chicken stock.
5. Add salt and pepper.
6. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Heat the remaining oil in the pan.
8. Add the duck pieces and fry until browned all over.
9. Transfer to the pan.
10. Mix well to coat with the sauce.
11. Cover and cook over low heat for about 60 minutes or until tender.
12. Keep stirring from time to time to prevent the sauce from sticking to the sides.
13. Skim excess fat off the surface.
14. Mix the pomegranate juice with the lemon juice and sugar.
15. Pour this to the pan and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
16. Adjust seasoning if required.
17. Arrange the duck pieces on a bed of rice.
18. Spoon some of the sauce over the top.
19. Garnish with whole walnuts and serve with any remaining sauce by the side.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !