Whole Chicken – 1, about 1.6 kg
Rice Wine – 1 1/2 tblsp
Light Soy Sauce – 2 tblsp
Dark Soy Sauce – 1 tblsp
Sugar – 1 tblsp
Fresh Ginger – 2 tsp, grated
Five-spice Powder – 2 tsp
Sesame Oil – 1 1/2 tblsp
Oil – 4 cups, for deep frying
1. Cut the chicken in half.
2. Rinse, drain and pat dry.
3. Prick the legs and thighs with a skewer.
4. In a bowl mix the wine, soy sauces, sugar, ginger, five-spice powder and sesame oil.
5. Brush evenly over the chicken on all sides.
6. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning and basting once or twice.
7. Heat the oven to 240C.
8. Set a rack in an oven tray lined with aluminium foil.
9. Place chicken on the rack to roast for 15 minutes on each side.
10. Remove and keep aside for 30 minutes for the skin to dry.
11. Heat the oil to very hot.
12. Carefully add one piece of chicken skin-side down.
13. Cook turning once or twice, until crisp and well browned.
14. Keep warm while the other half is cooked.
15. Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces, cutting through the bone.
16. Serve with hoisin sauce.